Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) has been used for centuries as a hair growth stimulant. It is also known to treat other hair problems such as thinning, dry scalp, brittle hair, as well as breakage.
JBCO is a natural unrefined variety of castor oil, which is extracted from the seed of the castor bean (recinus communis). The oil is also known as Palma Christi (Hands of Christ), perhaps because of the miraculous healing properties with which it was associated in ancient Egypt and Rome.
The difference between Jamaican black castor oil and regular castor oil is the method by which it is extracted. JBCO is extracted by a traditional method which is believed to retain all the essential nutrients of the oil and is easily recognized by its distinctive black color and characteristic odor.
There are many benefits to using JBCO on the hair:
- Regularly applying JBCO to your scalp and roots is known to not only promote regrowth; but it also helps to eliminate dry hair and scalp.
- It adds body to thinning hair.
- Helps to maintain healthy edges, and enhances the overall texture and appearance of the hair.
- Known to eliminate any scalp discomfort that individuals with Alopecia often experience.
- Jamaican Black Castor Oil can also camouflage the appearance of hair damage. It is known to basically make frizz and split ends less noticeable, while improving the overall health of your hair. After using castor oil on a consistent basis, your chances of developing split ends will even decrease.
- Promotes overall healthy, growing hair.
The following are some basic tips on how to use the oil:
Use it to give yourself weekly (1 hour) hot oil treatments. Apply JBCO to your hair and scalp, then cover with a conditioning cap for 1 hr. Allow your body’s natural heat to condition and treat the hair. This will not only stimulate hair follicles, but it will also protect the hair’s shaft.
Add some to your conditioner for a deep conditioning treatment: Combine 2/3 conditioner to 1/3 Jamaican black castor oil in a bowl, and then apply it to your hair. Leave in for 15-20 minutes. Rinse and style as usual.
For hair loss, thinning or damaged hair: Massage JBCO into your scalp every night for three minutes to help stimulate the hair follicles. You may also purchase a scalp massager, and give yourself weekly scalp massages.