Do you sometimes feel foggy, or without any energy at all during the afternoons at work? This is a problem that most of us experience at one time or another and there are steps you can easily take to increase your energy levels and feel refreshed.
One sure way to recharge your batteries and clear your head is to spend a week on a Caribbean beach. If, however, you don’t have a week here are just a few ideas to recharge in just a few minutes:
- Treat yourself to a coffee break Don’t go for just any coffee, treat yourself to an espresso. The brewing process for espresso releases much more coffee flavor and antioxidants as well.
- Switch mental gears When you just can’t look at another spreadsheet, try substituting another mental task for 10 minutes or so. Make it something a bit challenging that will focus you in a completely different direction for a while. Some people have found that word jumbles or crosswords work very well. You will be surprised how much more energy you have when you do get back to the task at hand.
- Use music Taking a few minutes to listen to some favorite music has the ability to drastically change your energy level and mood for the better. Create a list of your favorite songs that always seem to make you feel better and load them on your MP3 player or computer. Then you have a playlist of ten or fifteen minutes of invigorating, upbeat music ready to go when you need it.
- Get physical When you have been sitting for a long period, just getting up and stretching will help rejuvenate muscles that have been in one position for too long. Other physical activities such as walking a flight of stairs, or taking a brisk ten minute walk will leave you with a lot of energy and ability to focus. During your brief exercise period focus on your breathing. Try to breathe deeply and regularly to relieve stress and replenish energy.
- Get outdoors Working under fluorescent lights all day is enough to make anyone depressed and sleepy. Getting outside in natural sunlight for as little as ten minutes will help your body manufacture vitamin D which is critical for overall health, and serotonin which will improve mood and help you sleep at night. Finally, just the change of scenery itself can be very refreshing.
While none of these suggestions are particularly new, they will work if you use them the right way. What’s important is that you actively focus on whatever method you are trying..
Plan your break times and actively use them. If your intent is to be refreshed and recharged, doing any of these will work.